Clyde Volunteer Fire Department started with only a push cart and 500 feet of hose. In 1925, when the town put its first water system in place, an all volunteer fire department was organized and Edward G. Brooks was appointed chief. Clyde Volunteer Fire Department quickly outgrew the push cart and hose. In 1953 Charles Lanning, then Chief of Police, reorganized the department and a 1925 G.M.C. fire truck was purchased from the Weaverville Fire Department, and Larry H. Cagle was elected fire chief and J.B Martin was chosen as assistant chief.
In 1954 the department purchased a 1938 Pirsch Truck with a Hercules engine from Oak Ridge, Tennessee. An open house was held in 1955 in the old fire station. In 1961 funds were made available to construct a modern fire station facing Mulberry Street. That building was finished the same year. In xxxx a new modern Fire Station was constructed facing Carolina Boulevard the main thoroughfare through the Town of Clyde.
The Clyde Fire Department is funded through a fire district tax assessed by Haywood County on the home owners of the Central Haywood Fire District.
In June of 2010 Clyde Fire Department undertook a Department of Insurance rating to lower the insurance premiums for the residents and business owners in the community. The previous ISO rating was a 9 outside the city limits and a 6 inside the city limits. The members of Clyde Fire Department worked hard and achieved a ISO rating of 6 outside the city limits and a 4 inside the city limits.
On September 11, 2011 the Department unveiled and dedicated a Memorial to remember the firefighters of the Fire Department of New York and all victims of the attack of September 11, 2001 on the World Trade Center. The centerpiece of the Memorial consists of two steel beams recovered from the debris of the World Trade Center and donated to the Department by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey with the understanding that a Memorial that would be accessible to all who wanted to view it be constructed. You can read and see more about the construction of this Memorial on our 9-11 Memorial page.
During the month of December, 2012, the original 1938 Peter Pirsch fire engine used by the Clyde Fire Department in the 1950’s was found residing in Virginia and it was purchased and returned to the Department. It was located by a member of the Department who spent countless hours tracking it down. It is now back home.